|this was a photo shoot for heather. i don't take random thinking poses for fun.|
so i don't think i have the best hair in the world, but i've gotten a lot of comments about my hair. i remember even once when in relief society, we did a "describe someone until you guess it" thingy. they asked jeff questions about me and when they said "what is one of your wife's natural talents?" he said, "her hair." natural talent?? how about selfless or forgiving, or even dancing? nope. hair.
i thought i'd share with you a few tips that i do with my hair. i'm being completely honest, you might think i'm weird...but whatever, my husband say's hair is my talent.
1. i only wash my hair every 3-4 days (this took some training, started every other day, then every 2 days, etc). notice i said i only wash my hair every 3-4 days...doesn't mean i don't shower. i take a body shower daily. just making that clear.
2. when i do wash it, i only use shampoo on the scalp (only the scalp), and i only use conditioner on the rest of my hair, mainly tips (not touching the scalp). This took some getting used to as well. Especially conditioner, i used to use soooo much.
3. i don't brush my hair that often. maybe once a day (and usually i brush just underneath bc that's where it gets knotty). when it's wet, right after the shower, is when i do a full brushing of the hair. i brush the tips first and then work my way up.
4. i don't blow dry it completely dry. to get volume, i bend over, flip my hair, and blow dry mainly my scalp. i stay away from the tips. i flip all of my hair to one side and dry the that side of scalp, then do the same to the other side. volume, volume, volume. then i let the tips dry on their own. i shower at night, so i don't curl it right away. too much heat can damage it.
5. this might sound the dumbest: when i sleep, i don't sleep on my hair. i make sure my hair is off my shoulders, spread up all over my pillow. does that make sense? for some reason i NEVER get bead head because of this.
6. i curl all of my hair just once. usually the morning after i shower. on day 3 or 4 i'll re-touch it with a curler a bit (seriously, takes me 3 minutes to retouch some curls, mainly the top of my hair). this doesn't mean my hair is completely curled and hasn't lost volume the 2nd day, but it's a different kind of curl that i like, a flatter curl.
7. to get rid of oily hair (which you might be thinking, "how does she wash it only every 3 or 4 days? gross, oily!) i put baby powder in my scalp. every night, before i go to bed, i put baby powder in the palm of my hand, bend over so my hair is flipped over, and use my other hand to massage the powder in to my scalp. i look like cruela devil when i go to bed, but my scalp soaks most of it in by the time i wake up. if there's a ton when you wake up, you put a little too much, but you could just dab water on it, or rub a wet towel on it. no biggie. if your hair's still oily when you wake, then you didn't use enough.
you might think, "dang, she does a lot for her hair." but i REALLY don't. #1, 4, and 6 i do every 3-4 days. #5 is such a natural thing before i go to bed, seriously 0.2 seconds to flip your hair up. and #7 is part of my bed time routine, it's like brushing my teeth. i just HAVE to do it. you save a ton of water bc now you're only taking 2 min body showers daily, so really, i'm an environmentalist.