Tabs

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Time Has Come

to throw away my apple. To lock up my classroom. To retire my badge. I have complete mixed feelings about this step in my life. I know I will never regret it, but I will miss it. Everyday I will think about my students. I will think about what teachers are teaching, which kids are getting in trouble, which will go to college.

What am I going to miss most?

Getting presents like these...


Seeing a note on my desk in the morning when I get to school that say this...

Mrs. Crane,
These are the last days that we're seeing each other. Thank you for being the best teacher I have ever had. Thank you for caring about me. I wish you were my mom and that I was Sofia's big sister. God has great plans for you and your family. Please never forget about me. I also thank you because when I was sad, you would cheer me up. I hope we see each other some day. I will miss you so much. On the last day of school I will be really sad because we won't see each other every day. Thank you for being my second mom.
You Rock,
Student
P.S. Don't tell anyone about this


Knowing that I am making a difference in a person's life. I teach completely because I LOVE these children. I cry myself to sleep sometimes knowing what they go through at home. It's discomforting to know that some of my kids have lived in a drug selling house, that some of my girls have been sexually abused, that a few have no one at home telling them how beautiful they are so they turn to bulimia, or other harmful things.  In the demographic that I teach in, I am a mother to a lot of them.

Do you like that I am on a chair so I can feel better about myself?

They say I have a "teacher look" and a "mom look." Bad combo.




I'm in my classroom right now. 9 pm. Cleaning and I just had to take a break because I'm so sad. Wow, I'm crying just writing this. Today they threw me a surprise party. Brought my favorite thing in the world. Ice cream. They even made an i-movie about why they are going to miss me.


I'm really going to miss teaching. It's hard for me to say goodbye to a career that I know I am genuinely good at.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how hard this must be. Of course you will miss it and you will be missed by many. But you have so many fun adventures ahead with your new life. You will be genuinely good at that too! And you will make a huge difference in the lives of your children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sad day, but so good at the same time! you can be a momma to your babe and be there for her all the time! that has got to feel pretty great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sweet, I know you're a great teacher and at least you touched their lives for good. Now go be the best mommy ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a cute post, jackie. you are a talented woman. those students were so lucky to have you - i cannot get over that darling note! way to find what you're genuinely good at... i'm still lookin :) but seriously, sophia is such a lucky (and darling) little girl! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete